MK Design and the RNIB Access Consultancy Services
Over the last 15 years since the Disability Discrimination Act (DDA) 1995 came into force we, at MK Design, have been working with the RNIB Access Consultancy Services to standardise the advice given to a range of different establishments on décor and signage to allow them to cater for staff and visitors with visual impairment. The aim is to ensure that confusion and disorientation is avoided as much as is possible, and that these physical barriers are overcome. Working together, MK Design and the RNIB Access Consultancy Services have written the Code of Practice for Braille and Embossed Signs (click here to view) and the Sign Design Guide. The In Touch range of signs from MK Design allows the aesthetic appearance of a sign to remain attractive, eye catching and conforming to an individual image prescribed by the client, whilst providing colour and tone contrast, and Braille and tactile text for the visually impaired user. We also have a totally flexible sign, which allows you to insert your own paper sign including photos, whilst maintaining the overall aesthetic look of the sign. Our main philosophy is to provide “one sign for all” and that by making a sign clear, accessible and easy to read for a visually impaired person everyone will benefit. Our accessible signs can be tailored in the following ways to meet with your requirements: -
RNIB Access Consultancy Services offer a full Sign Consultancy Service. We have been developing guidelines and product information for the last seven years and can offer help and advice on all aspects of sign posting and wayfinding. Our consultancy also offers a comprehensive sign proposal, which includes the following: -
- Any typeface font style, providing it conforms to the RNIB guidelines for clear legible typestyles.
- Any panel and text colour to BS, RAL or Pantone colours providing a suitable contrast is obtained between the text and panel colours and the panel and wall colours.
- A range of different framing methods
- A range of different type of fixing methods for example magnetic, recessed, framed or bonded.
- A flexible range of inter-changeable panels to allow for site changes.
- Any panel size of length and height.
- Grade I and Grade II Braille.
We also offer:-
- A full site survey
- A colour drawing showing the proposed colour scheme.
- Individual dimensioned drawings of each sign type.
- Full text schedule of each sign.
- Marked up plans showing the location of each sign.
- Detailed costing of each sign type, quantities and total price for each building, including an extra over for installation.
- A detailed product specification.
- A Braille and tactile sample showing one of the proposed sign types.
- Sign audits,
- Sign appraisals
- Signage reports on existing schemes
- Corporate style guides
If you would like further information please do not hesitate to contact us by clicking here or on the link at the bottom of any page. The following are contact details for the RNIB Access Consultancy Services:
105 Judd Street
Phone: 020 7391 2002
Fax: 020 7387 7109